[IWE] UPDATE

Jay Burns IV iwe@warhead.org.uk
Mon, 05 Feb 2007 21:21:05 -0600

--------------030501040905060907010202

Andrew-

You're getting to the hairy edge of my knowledge on  this, so expect me
to misspeak sooner or later.

The cable modem is a Motorola Surfboard, in the 5000 series.   So it is
not a router per se (at least, it doesn't appear to be).  The router is
directly wired to the Surfboard; it is a D-Link DI-624 wireless router.,
It does present a private LAN on the back side; it is set up to be a
DHCP server, and gives my computer an IP address of 168.192.0./x/, where
x is generally 100 or 101. Its DHCP server address is 168.192.0.1.  That
address is also set up as my default gateway.

When you say "program a port forward to your computer's IP and address
the router's WAN address from the outside", exactly what do you mean?

jb4

Andrew Grygus wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 20:28:20 -0600, Jay Burns IV wrote:
>

>> Know about VNC, heard about SSH.
>>
>> Next idiot question goes something like, "VNC or SSH to /where/?"  Home
>> machine is generally off, and even if it were on, I currently haven't
>> the slightest idea 1) what my cable modem's IP address is, and 2) How to
>> get access to it on the other side of the router.
>>
>> (I'm educable, though, so any ideas on how to do that?  The
>> "documentation" that accompanies the router is just the other side of
>> useless, and Comcast is generally inaccessible...)
>>

> Generally a cable modem acts as a bridge and just passes traffic
> through without an address change so if your computer is attached
> directly to the cable modem the numbers you get by typing
> ipconfig /all (Windows) are the real numbers accessable from
> outside.
>
> If you have your own router between the cable modem and your
> computer you can get the real addresses by loging into it and
> checking the WAN status. If you have an internal router that
> gives your local network a private address range (like 192.168.1.n)
> you'll need to program a port forward to your computer's IP
> and address the router's WAN address from the outside.
>
> If your cable modem is actually a router, giving you private addresses
> on the LAN, then you need information from the service provider.
>
> Andrew Grygus

--------------030501040905060907010202

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
You're getting to the hairy edge of my knowledge on&nbsp; this, so expect me
to misspeak sooner or later.<br>
The cable modem is a Motorola Surfboard, in the 5000 series.&nbsp;&nbsp; So it is
not a router per se (at least, it doesn't appear to be).&nbsp; The router is
directly wired to the Surfboard; it is a D-Link DI-624 wireless
router., It does present a private LAN on the back side; it is set up
to be a DHCP server, and gives my computer an IP address of 168.192.0.<i>x</i>,
where x is generally 100 or 101. Its DHCP server address is
168.192.0.1.&nbsp; That address is also set up as my default gateway.<br>
When you say "program a port forward to your computer's IP and address
the router's WAN address from the outside", exactly what do you mean?<br>
jb4<br>
Andrew Grygus wrote:
    <pre wrap="">Know about VNC, heard about SSH.

Next idiot question goes something like, "VNC or SSH to /where/?"  Home
machine is generally off, and even if it were on, I currently haven't
the slightest idea 1) what my cable modem's IP address is, and 2) How to
get access to it on the other side of the router.

(I'm educable, though, so any ideas on how to do that?  The
"documentation" that accompanies the router is just the other side of
useless, and Comcast is generally inaccessible...)
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->