[IWE] 'A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection'

Sven Coenye iwe@warhead.org.uk
Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:14:22 +0100

> So the head of IT has set a date to look at rolling Vista out to the
> desktops. January 2008. I strongly suspect a date was chosen to forestall
> questions and early jumpers. It also lets us tell others who have no need
> to upgrade that they need only wait. But new, general purpose PCs in the
> meantime will be XP. Not Vista. We know how to do XP.
When have an external M$ licensing compliance manager. He has let us know that MS has set the vanishing date for XP OEM licenses at 15 March.

As downgrading an OEM Vista license is not allowed, if the above is true, that means you'll have to pay big bucks to keep Vista out. (We're still on W2K and have no desire whatsoever to see Vista at all, but I think we're fscked on this one.)