[IWE] Transitioning to a new ISP.

Alex Rutchka iwe@warhead.org.uk
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 12:10:06 -0500

For more money, I can get a fraction of the bandwidth I have with Road
Runner.  And, how can I not just grab a deal like that? :) Actually
while the above is true, there is a benefit that is makes the transition
valuable to me.  I can be in the "boonies" most anyplace in the US (or
Mexico and Central America) and still be "connected".  Given that my
wife and I spent over a quarter of the time "on the road" last year, I
have switched to a satellite Internet connection.  My currently assigned
satellite is "SatMex 6" which hangs over the equator a couple of
thousand miles West of Ecuador.  I have a tripod based dish that I have
to manually point at the satellite.  I transmit 1 Watt to the satellite
and there is a latency of a half second or so for a response.  A max of
700 Kbps down and 256 Kbps up. Obviously not suitable for gamers. With
practice, I hope to be able to do a "set up" in less than half an hour.

If you care, please note the new email address.

a6l6e6x