[IWE] VP Debate

Jay Mehaffey iwe@warhead.org.uk
Thu, 2 Oct 2008 19:36:03 -0700 (PDT)

--0-549584768-1223001363=:60080

Well Palin didn't botch it, both sides where obviously well prepared. I would give it to Biden by a few points, but there was no knock out or even staggering here.

The only clear cut win is that Palin is easier on the eyes then Biden. Biden is starting to develop some weird lines around his eyes and is looking old. There was something odd with the way Palin sometimes looked happy and comfortably with something things but was awkward and stuttering with others. It was like she was happy when she was on script and unhappy when she was off script or having trouble remembering it. Biden did have one effective bit though, whenever Palin went to direct attack on Biden, Biden looked back at her and smiled in way that left you with the impression he took it as a joke.

Palin did sound awkward talking about homosexual relations, but the
Biden/Obama and Palin/McCain position are close enough to be
indistinguisable, so this won't be a big campaign issue. Biden did
better on the war in Iraq, probably his best sequence in the debate.
Biden's slam of Cheney was better then Palin's defense, but that was
just one short bit. In fact, I don't think there was any sequence where Palin got the best of Biden, but Biden rarely got the best of Palin either.

Biden did better when they wandered from the prepared script, but Palin was not stupid enough to do more then a quick distraction before returning to the prepared plan. Biden was careful to avoid directly attacking Palin, prefering to aim at McCain or the Bush administration directly. Palin took shots at both, but aimed more at Obama then Biden. Both dodged a few questions and went into a prepared script that answered a different question, but neither did it badly enough that it came across badly. I think Palin did it more, but that may just reflect Biden's greater experience with doing it.

Jay