[IWE] "pop!" goes the chest

Ashton Brown iwe@warhead.org.uk
Sun, 05 Oct 2008 23:25:22 -0700

Ben Tilly wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Rand Careaga <rcareaga@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> If indeed you haven't seen the movie (can there be more than a hundred
>> adults in North America who have not?), you must first rent it before I'd
>> dream of elaborating.
>>

> You would be amazed at how many of us have no wish to waste needless
> dollars and hours of our life on learning useless references to
> popular culture.  You have no idea how much of a git you look like to
> us in insisting that we do so.

Carl and Ben -

Belated congrats too, on the grand adventure of tyke growing; enticing
little critters, mostly -- if only they didn't grow-up to become
consumers.  See below re. a tyke whose performance just might hit you
where you live.

I share your stated views of so very much unmemorable time-filler
cranked out over past 15+ years {arguable span} -- TV and cinema.
And I too have only a monster yagi antenna: the cable packages in this
bucolic locale are overpriced (as most places) and the 'Base' menu is
for base tastes.  (Fortunately I get access to some tapes of the
expensive brands re. my sparse media interests. HBO is not to be sneered
at, only the pricing jeered at.)

I thought similarly re 'Alien' and passed ... and then stumbled into a
viewing of 'Aliens 2'; I was wrong, so had to see origin, natch.

Look, youse guys do science, are immersed in techno -- surely have read
some sci-fi (a label I find condescending; the best of that is simply,
good /fiction/ IMO,) maybe not in yours.  As always, it's the story that
works, enthralls ... or it's pap, but special effects done Right and
timed-righter ... well, what can one say about SHOCK! ?? when it's not
just gratuitous (see: 'pap'.)

So having wasted 43 seconds already, I'll leave off the badgering by
mentioning the character, Ripley, a role (along with a child actor in
'2') -- which Shall evoke emotional response as well as intellectual.  A
certain GW Bush-ept 'decider' role ought produce a giggle, too.
As others mentioned -- the pair are as much a permanent meme as Monty
Python, or the reasons why Windows means: Beastware, forever.

Bon appetit. Or not.

I, fellow elitist crank.