[IWE] Author of 'Angler' with FDL folk.

Ashton Brown iwe@warhead.org.uk
Tue, 07 Oct 2008 00:49:57 -0700

on FDL Book Salon. Enough to decide if you want to read more about Darth
(or you simply want to see the perp in jail somewhere.)
Intelligent interactions, author with the FDL regulars: here uncommonly
familiar with The Book == They Read Books, too!

http://firedoglake.com/2008/10/06/fdl-book-salon-welcomes-barton-gellman-author-of-angler-the-cheney-vice-presidency/

Sample:

emptywheel <http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/> October 6th, 2008 at
12:06 pm
6
<http://firedoglake.com/2008/10/06/fdl-book-salon-welcomes-barton-gellman-author-of-angler-the-cheney-vice-presidency/#comment-1669300>

I heard you on Diane Rehm today–and know that on that show–as in other
forums, you’ve been getting a lot of questions about Palin’s comments
about the Vice Presidency.

I’m curious whether you think Steve Schmidt has had any influence on her
views?

You note in your book McCain’s stated views on the VP in a primary debate:

    “The vice president really only has two duties. One is to cast a
    tie-breaking vote in the case of a tied vote in the Senate. And the
    other is to inquire daily as to the health of the president.”

So how, then, did McCain’s VP adopt such an expansive view of the Vice
Presidency? And does McCain now agree?

Barton Gellman October 6th, 2008 at 12:25 pm
29
<http://firedoglake.com/2008/10/06/fdl-book-salon-welcomes-barton-gellman-author-of-angler-the-cheney-vice-presidency/#comment-1669328>
<http://firedoglake.com/2008/10/06/fdl-book-salon-welcomes-barton-gellman-author-of-angler-the-cheney-vice-presidency/#comment-1669300>

This is a great question. Not only is there no love lost between McCain
and Cheney, but McCain made clear he does not approve of the Cheney
Model. He would certainly not give Palin as much leash as Cheney had. I
don’t know whether she didn’t get the memo, didn’t mean what it sounded
like she meant, or is staking out an independent position here.

All-in-all, IMO a most edifying Place, this FDL Book Salon.
Rare, detailed and useful colloquy - maybe the best I've seen in
transistor la-la land, given the {amazing!} total absence of twit-quips,
stupid slogans and other troll-dross. (Try to say that last word five
times.)
Also:

http://www.bartongellman.com/