[IWE] iceland may go bankrupt

iwe@warhead.org.uk iwe@warhead.org.uk
Tue, 07 Oct 2008 13:43:13 -0400

----------MB_8CAF6BB4E5D837B_BB0_605_webmail-da04.sysops.aol.com

ouch!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/financialcrisis/3147866/Fin=
ancial-crisis-Icelands-dreams-go-up-in-smoke.html

Iceland had also presided over the fastest expansion of a banking system=20
  anywhere in the world. Little did anyone know that the expansion once so=20
  admired would go on to saddle the country with liabilities in excess of $1=
00=20
  billion =E2=80=93 liabilities that now dwarf its gross domestic product of=
 $14=20
  billion.=20

Iceland overreached itself in spectacular fashion, and the party is coming t=
o=20
  a messy end.=20

Yesterday, trading in the shares of six major financial institutions was=20
  suspended as the government sought to avert meltdown.

Sigurdur Einarsson, Chairman, Kaupthing Bank, warned against people being to=
o=20
  alarmist.=20

"Over the years we have built a strong and well-diversified bank. We have=20
  some of the strongest capital ratios in the European bank sector. We've go=
t=20
  good asset quality and a highly diversified loan portfolio.=20

Kaupthing has and continues to manage its business prudently and, with our=20
  strong fundamentals, we are naturally concerned when we hear malicious=20
  rumours and sensationalism about Kaupthing being reflected irresponsibly.=20=
We=20
  ask people to look at the facts, not rumour and inuendo."=20

Meanwhile, Icelandic interest rates have been catapulted to 15.5 per cent,=20
  peaks not seen in Britain since Black Wednesday, in an attempt to rein in=20
  inflation. The krona's fr
eefall on the international currency markets is=20
  surpassed only by the catastrophic failure of Zimbabwean currency.

----------MB_8CAF6BB4E5D837B_BB0_605_webmail-da04.sysops.aol.com

866/Financial-crisis-Icelands-dreams-go-up-in-smoke.html<font face=3D"Arial,=
 Helvetica, sans-serif"><br>
[...]

<!-- end of AOLMsgPart_2_e6816139-affd-43b1-b209-859707ce1d14 -->

=3D"color: black; font: normal 10pt ARIAL, SAN-SERIF;"><HR style=3D"MARGIN-T=
OP: 10px">McCain or Obama? Stay updated on coverage of the Presidential race=
 while you browse - <A title=3D"http://toolbar.aol.com/elections/download.ht=
ml?ncid=3Demlweusdown00000001" href=3D"http://toolbar.aol.com/elections/down=
load.html?ncid=3Demlweusdown00000001" target=3D"_blank">Download Now</A>!</F=

----------MB_8CAF6BB4E5D837B_BB0_605_webmail-da04.sysops.aol.com--