[IWE] Galbraith's OpEd on what should be done about the Bailout.

D. Scott Katzer iwe@warhead.org.uk
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 19:26:11 -0400

Hi Ben,

Ben Tilly wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 4:04 AM, D. Scott Katzer <dskatzer@os2bbs.com> wrote:
>> A Bailout We Don't Need:
>>
>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/24/AR2008092403033_pf.html
>>
>> I like it.
>
> I know some economics.  I used to work on Wall St.  What do I think?

[...]

Thanks for your comments.  I think the public and the skeptics would
feel much better about the need for something like this if:

1) Paulson and Bernanke had talked this way when the plan was presented.
  (Perhaps they did in their hours of testimony and the press failed us
by not covering it properly.  I dunno.)

2) P&B had talked about why they chose the number they did, why it was
structured this way, etc.  Some indication that they had learned from
Japan's and Sweden's experiences, for example.  As it is, people feel
worse about it by the day when they read things like:
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/09/dept-of-reassur.html

"[The $700B number] is not based on any particular data point," a
Treasury spokeswoman told Forbes.com Tuesday. "We just wanted to choose
a really large number."

:-/

3) You're probably right that any explanation will go over the head of
most people (and even most economists).  But that doesn't excuse the
requirement that the explanations be given.  Instead, we got Section 8
in the Treasury proposal, etc., etc.  They were shooting themselves in
the foot (and potentially making the situation worse).

As it is, we may have the worst combination of arguments being presented
when, in fact, something must be done quickly to prevent the sclerosis
that we all fear.  My concern is that we'll end up spending a huge
amount of money to buy some of these bad loans and so forth, but it
won't make a dent in the problems of foreclosures or credit card debt or

We'll see, I guess.

Thanks again for your long comments.  I've missed your essays.  :-)

Cheers,
Scott.