[IWE] Galbraith's OpEd on what should be done about the Bailout.

Jay Mehaffey iwe@warhead.org.uk
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 18:51:30 -0700 (PDT)

--0-436168040-1222393890=:89335

That brings up an interesting point that I have not seen addressed yet.
Which is, what is the real value of these securities?
That there is no good model for their value is one of the problem.
But I would love to see some breakdown of how much money one
might return over it's life.

There is the rather significant possibility that many of these things
are literally worthless. That they have already lost so much money
in foreclosures that even if the housing market where to turn around
they would never actually return any money.

I would expect the top rated trenches will eventually return
something, but the lower rated trenches might be underwater
no matter which way things go now.

It is a significant problem for the bailout plan if it's aim is to be
honest. So far though, I've been operating under the assumption
that one of the goals is to prop up Wall Street by buying them
at inflated value. In which case a good value model is not important.

Jay