[IWE] "We're made of meat!!"

Rand Careaga iwe@warhead.org.uk
Mon, 29 Sep 2008 07:17:08 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_V+grMOkVsf/dV5JuNYMddQ)

But perhaps a bit less of it from here on out:

> Recently I was chatting with one of my purveyors about meat, prices,
> and the food chain. Michael raises Tamworth pigs in upstate New York
> and rocks his John Deere cap without a trace of irony. He's an
> honest, upright citizen, a real person, not some revolutionary or
> back-to-the-land type. So it really chilled me when he said,
> "America better prepare for some uncomfortable changes. Things might
> get really ugly."
>
> You've seen the articles, right there on the front page next to
> equally uplifting stories about oil, the economy, and the war: The
> cost of food--of producing and procuring it--is soaring. In the
> restaurant world, it's all anyone can talk about. And the thing is,
> this is no temporary spike; it's actually a massive correction.
>
> Ever since my parents came to America in 1968, it has been meat and
> milk 24/7. They emigrated from war-ravaged Korea and, like Americans
> coming out of World War II, they couldn't believe--and didn't
> resist--the Crazy Eddie abundance of the American agricultural
> industry. As far as my parents are concerned, meat grows on trees.
>
> But guess what? The machinery that's pumped so much meat into our
> lives over the last half century was never built to last, and now
> it's breaking down big-time. Feed is more expensive. Gasoline is
> more expensive. Milk, rice, butter, corn--it's all going through the
> roof. And for the foreseeable future, it's not coming back down.

--Boundary_(ID_V+grMOkVsf/dV5JuNYMddQ)

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">But perhaps&nbsp;<a =
href=3D"http://www.esquire.com/features/21st-century-taste-like-1008">a =
bit less of it</a>&nbsp;from here on =
 I was chatting with one of my purveyors about meat, prices, and the =
food chain. Michael raises Tamworth pigs in upstate New York and rocks =
his John Deere cap without a trace of irony. He's an honest, upright =
citizen, a real person, not some revolutionary or back-to-the-land type. =
So it really chilled me when he said, "America better prepare for some =
uncomfortable changes. Things might get really =
ugly."</div></blockquote><blockquote =
seen the articles, right there on the front page next to equally =
uplifting stories about oil, the economy, and the war: The cost of =
food--of producing and procuring it--is soaring. In the restaurant =
world, it's all anyone can talk about. And the thing is, this is no =
temporary spike; it's actually a massive =
correction.</div></blockquote><blockquote =
my parents came to America in 1968, it has been meat and milk 24/7. They =
emigrated from war-ravaged Korea and, like Americans coming out of World =
War II, they couldn't believe--and didn't resist--the Crazy Eddie =
abundance of the American agricultural industry. As far as my parents =
are concerned, meat grows on trees.</div></blockquote><blockquote =