[IWE] Pelosi's viciously partisan speech

Ben Tilly iwe@warhead.org.uk
Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:02:24 -0700

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Rand Careaga <rcareaga@mac.com> wrote:
> On Sep 29, 2008, at 2:27 PM, bepatient@cfl.rr.com wrote:
>
> Thank Pelosi for that. Threw everyone under the bus with her pre-vote
> speech.
>
> Oh, yah, youbetcha. You never heard such invective and abuse. Why, read her
> savage spewing right here, if you're men enough. I'm surprised that the GOP
> members didn't just faint dead away on the House floor.

I just read it, and frankly I see Bill's point.  The subtle (though
richly deserved) criticism of the Republican party, and her
unwillingness to publicly acknowledge the Republican party, is not
going to inspire Republicans.  Were I a Republican listening to that,
I would be less inclined to be cooperative.  Could that have been the
difference that swung 3 votes?  I can't rule it out.

There are times for partisanship, and times for being bipartisan.
Trying to pass an important bill which the country is deeply divided
on is not the time to wave the party flag either subtly or unsubtly.

Cheers,
Ben