[IWE] Pelosi's viciously partisan speech

Bill Patient iwe@warhead.org.uk
Tue, 30 Sep 2008 01:09:00 -0400

I understand all that. In all likelihood they just didn't have the votes. It
doesn't improve the intelligence of the move.

In a time where they actually have a chance to show true leadership, they
can't.

Anything to get in an "I hate bush" moment or an "its all their fault"
gotcha.

-----Original Message-----
From: iwe-admin@warhead.org.uk [mailto:iwe-admin@warhead.org.uk] On Behalf
Of D. Scott Katzer
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:44 AM
To: iwe@warhead.org.uk
Subject: Re: [IWE] Pelosi's viciously partisan speech

Hi Jay and Bill,

Jay Mehaffey wrote:

> From: Bill Patient <bepatient@cfl.rr.com>
> >It was monumentally stupid on her part. Surprised you can't admit
> >even
> that.
>
> Or bastard cunning. I'm not sure I'm willing to give her that much
> credit, but she may have done it intentionally to derail the bill. She
> had to know it was marginal to pass anyway, she sinks it on the sly
> and the Republicans take most of the blame.
I heard somewhere, no linky yet, that Nancy was pissed off at the
Republicans because it became clear that they weren't going to keep up their
end of the deal. "Enough" was the term that was used.

But until I find a linky, there's this bit (via FireDogLake):

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/blunts-count-was-10-short-2008-09-29.htm

=== begin cut ===

Leadership officials blasted House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) for the
failure of the bill, claiming her floor address was filled with partisan
barbs and forced some Republicans to vote no.

But other Republicans disagreed strongly with that assertion, which was
mocked by Democrats as false and petty.

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) said the GOP leadership comments were
untrue, asserting that House Republicans voted against the bill because of
its contents.

"We're not babies who suck our thumbs," Bachmann said at a press conference
after the vote.
Rep. Jeb Hensarling (Texas), the chairman of the conservative Republican
Study Committee who has triggered speculation that he will mount a
leadership bid, was one of the first members to publicly reject the revised
rescue plan.

Hensarling appeared at the press conference with Bachmann, as well as other
Republicans who voted no, including Reps. Scott Garrett (N.J.), Steve King
(Iowa), Trent Franks (Ariz.) and Marsha Blackburn (Tenn.).

Behind closed doors, sources said Hensarling was uncompromising on the cost
of the bailout, and that led to a tense exchange with House Chief Deputy
Whip Eric Cantor (R-Va.).

Boehner saw even his closest allies reject his pleas to support the bill -
including McCotter, Reps. Steven LaTourette (R-Ohio), Pete Hoekstra
(R-Mich.) and freshman Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), whom Boehner tapped
earlier in the year to head up the Republican Platform Committee.

"Boehner understands," McCotter said, adding that the GOP leader knew
members would have to vote their conscience.

Meanwhile, several members of Blunt's whip team also rejected the bill.
=== end cut ===

The Republicans couldn't get their act together and looked to Nancy as a
convenient villain.

Cheers,
Scott.