[IWE] Lost us?

Scott Anderson iwe@warhead.org.uk
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:11:09 -0500

--Apple-Mail-41-1045599576

Not exactly.

I have a backup from a year ago. It's the intervening posts that have
gone walkabouts, victims of a combination "dead, silly RAID array" and
"perfectly timed dead backup drive in Scott's computer" snafu.

The server has been repaired and the new forum software has been
loaded. There's still some work to be done, however.

First, I have to load the posts from the old backup 7.4 database into
the new schema in the new permanent 8.3 database. Then, I'll have to
write a script that loads the posts from the temp forums into their
proper places in the permanent db. I also have to perform some kind of
mapping for the new user IDs and such. This is what I'm currently
engaged in.

I do have a copy of the up-to-date old database, in a convenient
"scrambled XFS partition dd dump" format. Interested persons may email
me their snail mail address to gain their very own limited edition of
this puzzle box on Doovde media in order to make an attempt at
unscrambling it. Successful persons will gain the good will of
everyone, and the chance to buy yet another beer for Peter.

-scott

On Jan 23, 2009, at 12:42 PM, golf_lover44 wrote:

> So all of the tens of thousands of posts are gone forever?
>
> That's mucho sad - there was so much knowledge posted over the
> years, and to lose it, hurts us all.
>
> Lincoln

--Apple-Mail-41-1045599576

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Not =
[...]
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><table =
cellspacing=3D"0" cellpadding=3D"0" border=3D"0"><tbody><tr><td =
valign=3D"top" style=3D"font: inherit;">So all of the tens of thousands =
of posts are gone forever?<br><br>That's mucho sad - there was so much =
knowledge posted over the years, and to lose it, hurts us =
<i>&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:peter.whysall@ntlworld.com">peter.whysall@ntlworld.com</a>>=
16, 255); margin-left: 5px; padding-left: 5px;">From: Peter Whysall =
&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:peter.whysall@ntlworld.com">peter.whysall@ntlworld.com</a>>=
href=3D"mailto:iwe@warhead.org.uk">iwe@warhead.org.uk</a><br>Date: =
the mailing list who may be wondering just<br>what is going on with the =
knew that. The executive summary is that the server's disk array<br>went =
south, we lost the
 database of the old forums (so when it comes back, you<br>won't be =
seeing the old posts, unfortunately). Thanks to Scott A, =
whose<br>continuing dedication to the server is earning him the right to =
buy me many<br>pints of beer should he ever venture over here, the =
server is *soon* to be back.<br><br>The temporary server at <a =
href=3D"http://iwt.mikevitale.com:8080/gaming/main.iwt">http://iwt.mikevit=
ale.com:8080/gaming/main.iwt</a> remains<br>online, and that database =
will be transferred to chutney (the real IWT server)<br>when it goes =
live.<br><br>In the hope of keeping a few more people informed of what's =
going on, I<br>created a Facebook group (cunningly titled "IWETHEY", =
you'll never<br>find it) so that there's one more way of spreading the =
all.<br><br>Thanks go to Scott A and Mike V, for their efforts with the =
server and the new,<br>shiny forum =
SIGNATURE-----<br>Version: GnuPG
 v2.0.9 =
(Darwin)<br><br>iEYEARECAAYFAkl59u8ACgkQPLjafCZ9jRsZcgCfTT8EsVGwMmNPVJE0CI=
mailing list<br><a =
href=3D"mailto:IWE@warhead.org.uk">IWE@warhead.org.uk</a><br>http://lists.=

--Apple-Mail-41-1045599576--