[Xml-bin] RE: Another binary XML approach

Bullard, Claude L (Len) clbullar@ingr.com
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:51:12 -0500

From: Olivier Dubuisson [mailto:Olivier.Dubuisson@francetelecom.com]

>avoid reinventing the wheel

Given the number of binary proposals and extant implementations,
that can't be avoided.  A WML developer would claim ASN.1 and
a French telco are reinventing the wheel.  A number of other
companies probably are as well.

>embedded devices, high-volume transactions, efficiency, compression ratio,

No proof has been offered that the solutions for items one and two converge
in the qualities of items three and four.  Anecdotal evidence has been
offered from developers that the time spent in parsing and the
compression ratio gained does not warrant the effort.

>careful design) that my company (with others) supports what is described
at:

That is not easy to quantify.  ASN.1 exists and your company and unnamed
parties support it.  So far, that is the evidence offered.  I have
looked at the documents at the sites listed.  So far, no quantitative
evidence to support the claims is offered.

I accept that there are those who assert the need for the standard
XML binary.  So far, that is easy to discern.  No case has been
made for any approach or requirements offered that would enable
reasonable minds to choose among approaches offered.  It is fine
to take this offlist, but at some point XML-Dev list members
might reasonably expect results of the discussions to be
brought back for consideration.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.