[Xml-bin] Some central design issues

Anjana Manian Anjana.Manian@oracle.com
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 13:37:14 -0700

--------------9ECA0F10889E30AC13FB5DF3

> The primary goals I just layed out on the xml-dev list are:
> o  Binary structured organization with fast traversable indexing using a
> relative handle/pointer system.

Yes, we are aiminig at this. A DOM like traversal using the binary
format is what we would like to achieve.

> o  Modifiability in-place.

This may be too much of overhead. The aim is to target fast reading and
accessing than modifiying the data.

> o  Doing this efficiently in flat, chunked buffers that allow both
> memory and wire format to be the same, with an optional 'compress' step
> that removes working 'holes'.

We also are aiming at on-the-fly decompression/deserialization of the
compressed binary format. The goal is to be able to build the DOM tree
or generate SAX events from the compressed binary data on-the-fly in
case of transmission of binary stream over the wire.

> While most apps need to be able to produce text XML, the goal is to
> avoid it altogether for some portion of import/export/work processing
> steps.

Yup, working with the binary compact xml representation will be more
efficient than managing the hug in-memory DOM tree.

> Since you are working on this at Oracle, I'll mention that I also added:
>
> If anyone wants to sponsor me at my consulting rate to complete this
> fulltime as an open source project, let me know.

Sure. Will let you know if I hear about something.

Thanks,
Anjana
--------------9ECA0F10889E30AC13FB5DF3

begin:vcard
n:Manian;Anjana
tel;fax:650-654-6208
tel;work:650-607-0153
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Server Technologies;Oracle Corporation
version:2.1
email;internet:Anjana.Manian@oracle.com
title:Senior Member Technical Staff
x-mozilla-cpt:;-1