[Xml-bin] An attempt to sort things out

Stephen D. Williams sdw@lig.net
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:38:17 -0400

Al Snell wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Stefan Zier wrote:
>
> > > But you're right, we're splitting hairs :-)
> >
> > ;) So where in the model would you make the cut and drop in the binary XML
> > stuff instead of the "regular" stuff?
>
> Well, the higher up you go the more benefits you can reap from the higher
> layer interface, but the more you have to change in the code that uses
> those interfaces to adapt to the new model.
>
> My original plan was to replace the very lowest level, and provide a SAX
> interface, to speed acceptance, but SDW's plan of optimising XPath with
> indexing seems to indicate that a DOM-level interface might be a better
> idea... more work, but much greater rewards.

And note that I say "Binary Structured XML" ('bsxml', I'll have fewer name
collisions with a prefix like 'bs'. ;-)).  I am concentrating first on the
structure, not the data.  Deciding clean ways of allowing binary encoding of the
normally textual data is a separate layer to me.  I am working on fast indexing
into and modification of a flat chunked representation of XML with arbitrary
data payloads.  Those payloads could be binary or text.  bsxml is meant to be
the structure layer of an overall binXML representation stack along with
compression and binary data forms.

sdw

--
sdw@lig.net   Stephen D. Williams  Senior Consultant/Architect   http://sdw.st
43392 Wayside Cir,Ashburn,VA 20147-4622 703-724-0118W 703-995-0407Fax