[Xml-bin] Status of projects?

Anders W. Tell opensource@toolsmiths.se
Tue, 05 Jun 2001 17:49:50 +0200

Al Snell wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Anders W. Tell wrote:
>
>>What is your take on the slightly different usecase with IPC
>>(interprocess communication) where the information transferred
>>originates from objects.
>>Isnt it more efficient to use pure Corba (CDR) or native ASN (BER,
>>PER,..) than XML encode the information first and then do a PER encoding ?
>>

>Yes, but that doesn't include The XML Buzzword(tm) That Obviously Ensures
>This Product Is Not Monopylous And Will Interoperate Seamlessly And
>Automatically With The Semantic Web(tm), if you know what I mean...

Never heard of it  ;-)

>Ideally, the XML APIs would be implemented on top of the PER encoder so
>there's no actual text-XML phase, but the ability to chuck in an "adapter"
>as a quick hack will help development, I guess.

Yes, I know thogh that OMG community is working  on establishing a
special version of a webservice endpoint for GIOP messages so soon it
may be possible to transfer native messages encoded in PER, and CDR,etc.

>>Im have however added a GZIP based  character compression mechanism but
>>the resulting compression doesn work as one might expect. What I did was
>>to separate characters from markup and encode the GZIP'ed characters
>>into the stream, but GZIP'ing the whole BML stream is usually more
>>size-effective.
>>

>Quite - the element boundaries usually follow repeated patterns too.
>
>And if you *individually* gzip each string, you lose out a lot on the
>per-gzip-overhead...

Yes I manage to avoid that with a 2 pass algorithm which collects all
chars in one single array and then put it through a GZIP Stream. The
problem are all those small references to the char array from the markup
area.

Im working on another solution but the block features of gzip algorithm
creates great difficulties when designing a 1 pass algorithm.

Cheers
Anders

--
/        Anders W. Tell   ,   Financial Toolsmiths AB         /