[Box Backup-dev] Win32 build

Ben Summers boxbackup-dev@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 1 Feb 2006 13:48:30 +0000

The current release candidate doesn't have the Win32 build
environment in it, and I'm lead to believe the stuff in trunk is old
anyway.

I don't have the necessary stuff to test or do anything with the
Win32 side of things, so perhaps someone would like to set things up
so that it's easy to build from the distribution archive?

I suggest...

    http://bbdev.fluffy.co.uk/svn/box/chris/win32/vc2005-compile-
fixes/infrastructure/msvc/

goes into trunk, or something like it.

Then, add these dirs to

   distribution/boxbackup/DISTRIBUTION-MANIFEST.txt

so that they get copied into the archive.

Add

   distribution/boxbackup/WIN32.txt

and write some notes which explain how to build on win32, with all
the various variants (which is Cygwin, Native with MinGW, Native with
MSVC).

Clean up trunk/ -- there's a few bits there which look Win32-ish.

What's win32.bat? If it's important, add it to DISTRIBUTION-
MANIFEST.txt, as it won't get copied by default. It implies it's for
cygwin, is it also relevant to Win32 native?

Then run

   infrastructure/makedistribution.pl boxbackup

and then see if you can follow your instructions to build the
unpacked archive.

Thanks!

Now the only thing is that everything is designed to be a generic
framework for building files, and all this is terribly Box Backup
specific. Given the way MSVC works, I don't think there's much that
can be done.

And finally, it'd be nice not to build lib/win32 on non-win32 platforms.

Ben