[Box Backup-dev] Missing libs when building on Solaris

Martin Ebourne boxbackup-dev@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:44:34 +0000

Stefan Norlin <stefan.norlin@infoflexconnect.se> wrote:
> After googling around a bit I added
>
> AC_SEARCH_LIBS(gethostbyname, nsl socket resolv)
> AC_SEARCH_LIBS(shutdown, nsl socket resolv)
>
> to configure.ac and re-ran bootstrap and configure. That made the trick.

That's a "work around" which we may go with, but there's two reasons
it's not ideal:

1. It's not really up to us to know what openssl's dependencies are.

2. This directive adds libraries if they are present, not if they are
necessary. Other platforms which have the libraries but don't need to
link them (the functions are defined in libc say) will end up carrying
unnecessary library dependencies.

Are you compiling with gcc on Solaris? And are you using the Sun linker
or GNU ld? Certainly on linux with GNU ld the .so dependencies are
followed automatically.

Cheers,

Martin.