[Box Backup-dev] Win32 build

Martin Ebourne boxbackup-dev@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 02 Feb 2006 23:55:02 +0000

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 23:38 +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> I'm confused - there are two Win32 build environments, MinGW and Visual
> C++. The last release was built from trunk (with a few patches which were
> subsequently merged) using MinGW, and seems to have worked well. Visual
> C++ support, however, is not in trunk yet.

Does the mingw build use the same build system as the unix platforms -
are the extra build hacks only for msvc? If so and it produces a working
win32 binary then is there any reason to support two platforms for
win32?

Maintaining two completely separate build systems is a bad idea and a
long term maintenance headache, especially because unix developers
cannot change the windows one. We should only do it if we have to.

Cheers,

Martin.