[Box Backup-dev] COMMIT r464 - box/trunk/lib/backupclient

Ben Summers boxbackup-dev@fluffy.co.uk
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:06:32 +0000

On 17 Feb 2006, at 23:47, Martin Ebourne wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 09:25 +0000, Ben Summers wrote:
>> Can we have a policy on this type of thing?
>>
>> Any non-optimal solution or something which should be addressed in
>> the future should have a comment like
>>
>>    // TODO: Added errno!=EACCES for XFS, not a good solution as read
>> errors not notified properly, see SVN log
>>
>> The "TODO:" bit is the marker to grep for.
>
> Sure, that's a sound idea. I would normally add such a thing where I
> intended to revisit later and fix up something I was not happy
> with. In
> this case I didn't think I'd realistically be able to do that
> because of
> the structure of the code. Also I considered the change to be less
> than
> ideal, but still a valid fix. Unless more corner cases come to light
> then a correct error will always be reported for this one.
>
> I'll still add the TODO (or a note) if you like. It's also worth
> noting
> that "svn blame" is a very handy command for working out why things
> are
> the way they are, as long as the log messages are descriptive. On some
> projects (eg. mono) they use it very extensively.

No need if you think it's a fix. I just thought that the log message
was comprehensive, explains a little weird thing, and might have been
better inline.

I am so picky, aren't I?

Ben