[Box Backup-dev] COMMIT r464 - box/trunk/lib/backupclient

Martin Ebourne boxbackup-dev@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:47:35 +0000

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 09:25 +0000, Ben Summers wrote:
> Can we have a policy on this type of thing?
>
> Any non-optimal solution or something which should be addressed in
> the future should have a comment like
>
>    // TODO: Added errno!=EACCES for XFS, not a good solution as read
> errors not notified properly, see SVN log
>
> The "TODO:" bit is the marker to grep for.

Sure, that's a sound idea. I would normally add such a thing where I
intended to revisit later and fix up something I was not happy with. In
this case I didn't think I'd realistically be able to do that because of
the structure of the code. Also I considered the change to be less than
ideal, but still a valid fix. Unless more corner cases come to light
then a correct error will always be reported for this one.

I'll still add the TODO (or a note) if you like. It's also worth noting
that "svn blame" is a very handy command for working out why things are
the way they are, as long as the log messages are descriptive. On some
projects (eg. mono) they use it very extensively.

Cheers,

Martin.