[Box Backup-dev] Makefile.extra?

Martin Ebourne boxbackup-dev@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:48:09 +0000

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 15:26 +0000, James O'Gorman wrote:
> Ben Summers wrote:
> > Sounds like the best thing to do is to autoconf it, and use
> > Makefile.extra.in instead, which allows the prefix to be included. Then
> > change all the C++ to use a #define for the location too.
> >
> > Are you up for doing that? I know it won't help your current porting
> > work, but would make it easier for next time.
>
> Well, here's my first effort. I'm sure Martin will want to take a look
> at this, as it's my first attempt at autoconf-foo! It's a fairly hefty
> patch as it renames a lot of files...

Yes, unfortunately patch is pretty useless at that. It also makes it
near impossible to review.

Could you submit it instead as a series of file operations and then
diffs to the result?

ie.

mv Makefile.extra Makefile.extra.in

then a patch on top of that? Would make it much easier to follow, and
besides, that's how it'll have to be committed in svn anyway, or we
loose the history and make merging more awkward.

Regarding the configure.ac change - please use M4 quoting (ie. [])
following the rules in the autoconf info manual, or just follow the
style in the rest of the file. Also split lines at 80 characters or so.

Cheers,

Martin.