[Box Backup-dev] Makefile.extra?

James O'Gorman boxbackup-dev@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 17:17:12 +0000

Ben Summers wrote:
> My thoughts...
>
> 1) It's really nasty to use this for cpp files, because to make a change
> you've then got to ./configure again, which means a complete rebuild.
> There must be a way to get autoconf to put the path to perl in a
> #define, in which case you can use that instead.

I agree in principal, but maybe this is because my knowledge of compiled
programs is slim, but what difference would it make to use a #define?
You would still have to recompile wouldn't you? Excuse my ignorance if
I'm completely missing the point here.

> 2) There are lots of scripts which need parsing. Maybe it would be nicer
> to modify makebuildenv.pl to go through and modify the first line of
> every perl script?

Yes, perhaps. I'll have a look at that.

> 3) Please work from an SVN checkout. Release files have the license
> prepended, and working from those makes merging more difficult. Also it
> means you can just do 'svn diff' to get the diff.

OK. Should I work from HEAD or from the 0.10 release? (In which case
which revision is the release? That commit email seems to have
disappeared into the ether since Alaric blew everything up...)

James