[Box Backup-dev] COMMIT r527 - box/chris/general/bin/bbackupd

Ben Summers boxbackup-dev@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:36:06 +0000

On 26 Feb 2006, at 20:05, Chris Wilson wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
>> Writing an automated test for this feature is going to be a
>> _nightmare_ ...
>
> Yeah, probably will be, sorry :-( It wasn't my idea :-)
>
> Writing a perfect test may not be easy, but if we run the bbackupd
> tests twice, once with the StoreObjectInfoFile and once without, it
> probably shows that the feature doesn't break successful backups,
> even if it's not working properly.

Hmmm... I'd be more worried about the error conditions. What happens
if the file gets corrupted? Gets deleted? An old one appears
magically? That kind of thing.

I think we have to be very careful when writing a backup utility, and
make sure that even if things we don't expect happen, the backup
still backs up.

Ben