[Box Backup-dev] Windows ACLs

Ben Summers boxbackup-dev@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:12:46 +0000

On 26 Feb 2006, at 23:05, Charles Lecklider wrote:

> Ben Summers wrote:
>> Can't you use a Windows API to serialise and deserialise the ACLs?
>
> Not if you want to stand a chance of applying them on a machine other
> than the original, no.

It was BackupRead and BackupWrite I was thinking of. But of course,
these are going to use the local SIDs and will be useless on other
machines. Oh well. Nothing is easy with Win32 security.

> The only time I can see storing Windows ACLs has any use is if you
> want
> to backup an entire machine so that you can restore it as a whole
> later,
> and I'm not at all sure that's a role for Box.

Hmmm... what would you recommend then? At the very least, it has to
separate out each users' files, I suppose.

Ben