[Box Backup] redhat 7.3

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 11:48:08 +0100

On 31 Mar 2004, at 14:36, ian@naweb.com wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Originally this message was going to be a question about a problem.
> But I
> just solved it so I'll just mention the problem/solution in case
> someone would
> run into it.
>
> I have a Redhat 7.3 box which has openssl 0.9.6 installed using rpm
> and 0.9.7
> installed manually from the source in /usr/local/ssl (the normal
> place).
>
> Problem was that the configure script would not see my 0.9.7
> installation and
> would only see 0.9.6.  What I did to fix it was that I reinstalled
> openssl but
> with the prefix set to redhats normal location.  only problem is that
> you
> would be changing some of the libraries to newere versions.  I am not
> sure
> exactly what consequences it will have but you'll probably have to,
> atleast,
> restart anything that uses ssl, and at worst recompile something... or
> am I
> wrong about that?  anyway, the exact openssl config command was:
>
> ./config shared --prefix=/usr --openssldir=/usr/include/ssl
>
> I had no problem compiling on fedora core 1.  So anyway, not sure if
> something
> can be done to fix the config script or maybe it was something wrong
> with my
> redhat 7.3 installation.  I'll try a different 7.3 box in a couple of
> days.

You can manually add compile and link options to the configured script,
see

   http://www.fluffy.co.uk/boxbackup/install.html

You'd do something like

   ./configure compile:-I/usr/local/openssl/include
link:-L/usr/local/openssl/lib

perhaps... the paths are all dependent on your system.

I think you subscribed a little to late to read this

   http://lists.warhead.org.uk/pipermail/boxbackup/2004-March/000140.html

which is a version which has experimental support for old versions of
OpenSSL. It's not pretty or terribly efficient, but seems to work.

It does seem that most Linux systems, and a lot of other ones too, ship
with 0.9.6. This is a bit of a pain if you just want to try Box Backup
out, so I added this in to enable people to try it without too much
hassle. Of course, for real live use, I do recommend upgrading to
0.9.7.

Specifically, with the old version

* The cipher has to be completely reinitialised every time it's used.
This is less efficient than simply resetting the state, as can be done
in 0.9.7.

* There's no support for switching padding off (which is required to
avoid using up huge amounts of extra space). I have to access the
OpenSSL internals to emulate this, which is horrendously bad practise.
Still, it doesn't have to be forward compatible, so I don't feel to bad
about this.

Thanks for posting your notes.

Ben