[Box Backup] Some mods

Imran boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 18:55:34 -0500

I don't know if its usefull or goes against your policy, but i made some
changes to 0.4PLUS1 for better openssl support.

Basically this only usefull for people that may have openssl installed from
packages and then they manually compile openssl from openssl.org source tgz.

Problem:
Without this, I had to 'configure' using the compile: and link: paramater. and
afterwards, I had to modify all the scripts that called the openssl binary and
had to prepend /usr/local/ssl/bin/ to them.

Files affected:
Modified makebuildenv.pl
Templatized the scripts/* files a little and put them into scripts.tmpl subdir

Usage:
./configure openssl:/usr/local/ssl

Changes:
what this does is effectively does is 'configure
compile:-I/usr/local/ssl/include link:-L/usr/local/ssl/lib'.  but problem with
that is manually installed openssl is will have openssl binary in
/usr/local/ssl/bin directory.  so I modified the scripts and put in a tempalte
variable that gets replaced and new scripts files generated which have the
openssl path variable.

Issues:
This makes the parcels thing not universal.  i mean, ifyou compile on a
machine with manually installed openssl and then try to run the parcel on a
machine that has openssl installed with rpm etc. and not from source from
openssl.org.

But then again its probably not a problem, since you would want to make
parcels for homogenous sets of systems.

NOTE:
my modifications of the scripts (that are now in scripts.tmpl directory) could
be done a little better.  (just realized it when i was writing this email).
Instead of hard wiring the openssl to /usr/local/ssl/bin, i should have just
added the /urs/local/ssl/bin to beginning of PATH.  that way if openssl isn't
there, it will atleast find it in /usr/bin etc. And this would make the
parcels little less unique.

Download:
http://www.niazi.net/changes-0.4PLUS1.tgz

It includes a diff file, as well as the new & old makebuildenv files.  also
there is a scripts.tmpl directory, as well as a CHANGES.txt which is a basic
overview.

Imran