[Box Backup] error

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:20:45 +0100

On 7 Apr 2004, at 01:10, mailing lists wrote:

> Hello
>
>  I'm running an old version of boxbackup (0.03) on my home network.
>
>  It is backing up a set of documents and graphics on from 2 o
> 3 directories on my ~ to a remote server.
>
>  This was working fine when I set it up. I'd been a bit busy these
> last two months and found it broken last night.
>
>  I'm seen this error on the client side:
>
> Apr  6 20:28:58 dante bbackupd[21512]: Exception caught (3/15), reset
> state and waiting to retry...
> Apr  6 20:47:42 dante bbackupd[21512]: Exception caught (3/15), reset
> state and waiting to retry...
>
>  I checked RaidFileException.h and 15 is: DirectoryIncomplete = 15,
> but it
> doesn't really help and I'm not sure if that file is where I should
> check.

(3/15) is a Server SocketConnectError error, and means that the
bbackupd daemon has failed to connect to the server. Check that server
is still running, the hostname is correct, etc.

I am aware that the messages are a bit unhelpful, especially in 0.03.
It's a bit better in newer versions -- you would have seen an
explanation in this case.

>  I don't care about backedup documents as originals are fine, but
> I like the idea of having these things encrypted and backuped
> remotelly.

Off-site backups are important!

>  Should I destroy the whole setup (directoryincomplete sounds scary)
> and
> restart with latest or is there any way to fix things up?

You could just make sure that the server is running OK. You don't say
whether these are continual errors, or whether it manages to connect
sometimes, or what the server is logging. (Check the documentation on
the web site about enabling more logging -- you may only be seeing the
error logs.)

However, 0.03 has a few bugs which may affect the integrity of your
backups. I would recommend moving to the latest version. It would be
best to move the existing backups on the server to the side, get a
complete new backup, and then delete the old backups.

You might as well use the latest "preview" version, here

    http://www.fluffy.co.uk/boxbackup/bin/boxbackup-0.04PLUS2.tgz

Let me know how you get on.

Ben