[Box Backup] exception BackupStore BadDirectoryFormat

Imran boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 06:53:07 -0500

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 11:38:56 +0100, Ben Summers wrote
> > As in the log, looks like the client sent stuff to the server, so
> > maybe its a
> > certain directory thats having problem.
>
> Sounds like it. I'm still not clear what happened in the run up to
> this. Am I right in thinking you...
>
> * Wait until a client is backing up to a server
>
> * Kill the server bbstored process (letting the sub-process which is
> handling the client remain)
>
> * Delete all the data from the server
>
> * Restart the bbstored process.
>
> If this is the case then I need to
>
> 1) Finish the server side recovery tools, and release them
>
> 2) Adjust the behaviour of the servers to signals, so sub-processes
> end too.
>
> and you need to wipe your entire server configuration (keeping a
> copy of all the *.pem certificate files) and then start again.
>
> Unless you start from an absolutely clean setup, I'm not sure
> there's much point in me looking into this too deeply. I can see
> exactly how this state could come about if I'm right in how you got here.

No, I didn't clean anything.  i had four clients running, going to one server.
 one of the client had the error I described.  I didn't touch the processes.
and then i noticed the process behaviour after the bbackupquery timeout.  I
think it was related to the timeout because that error had repeated several
times, and only thing different was that I ran bbackupquery, and i had a
timeout error and no other entry for an hour after that.  And thats when i
tried to kill the bbackupd and it wouldn't die.

> > also bbackupquery should keep track of timeouts.  if its gonna
> > timmeout, it
> > should just timeout itself.  or server should know if its a backupquery
> > timeout, in that case print a more graceful message in the srever
> > syslogs
>
> Maybe. :-) There's more important stuff to do at the moment.

I forgot to note severity.  in this case, the graceful error thing was not
that important.  just wanted it on the table for eventually.