[Box Backup] exception BackupStore BadDirectoryFormat

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:12:33 +0100

On 12 Apr 2004, at 12:53, Imran wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 11:38:56 +0100, Ben Summers wrote
>>> As in the log, looks like the client sent stuff to the server, so
>>> maybe its a
>>> certain directory thats having problem.
>>
>> Sounds like it. I'm still not clear what happened in the run up to
>> this. Am I right in thinking you...
>>
>> * Wait until a client is backing up to a server
>>
>> * Kill the server bbstored process (letting the sub-process which is
>> handling the client remain)
>>
>> * Delete all the data from the server
>>
>> * Restart the bbstored process.
>>
>> If this is the case then I need to
>>
>> 1) Finish the server side recovery tools, and release them
>>
>> 2) Adjust the behaviour of the servers to signals, so sub-processes
>> end too.
>>
>> and you need to wipe your entire server configuration (keeping a
>> copy of all the *.pem certificate files) and then start again.
>>
>> Unless you start from an absolutely clean setup, I'm not sure
>> there's much point in me looking into this too deeply. I can see
>> exactly how this state could come about if I'm right in how you got
>> here.
>
> No, I didn't clean anything.

OK, then what you should do, at the very minimum, is

* Edit the /etc/box/bbstored/accounts.txt file, and remove the
reference to the dodgy account.

* Delete the <raid>/backup/<account number> directories, from all the
raid directories.

* Run bbstoreaccounts to recreate the account

* Don't randomly delete files again.

The backup client will be perfectly happy, and just upload everything
again. You may see one error in the logs when it realises what's
happened.

Recovery tools will appear soon!

>  i had four clients running, going to one server.
>  one of the client had the error I described.  I didn't touch the
> processes.
> and then i noticed the process behaviour after the bbackupquery
> timeout.  I
> think it was related to the timeout because that error had repeated
> several
> times, and only thing different was that I ran bbackupquery, and i had
> timeout error and no other entry for an hour after that.  And thats
> when i
> tried to kill the bbackupd and it wouldn't die.

It will only die when it has finished with the server. It will remember
that it should, and die eventually. But it should die earlier though.

Ben