[Box Backup] Unencrypted storage?

Joris boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sat, 04 Dec 2004 09:46:48 +0100

Joe Krahn wrote:

It's a matter of balancing confidentiality requirements with system
horsepower.

I can easily imagine that an organisation currently having another
backup solution will want to switch to boxbackup.
But I can picture a situation where it may mean having to encrypt a
couple of terrabyte to begin with, and then requiring a backup server
that's 10 times more powerfull just to be able to handle the encryption.
All this while the old backup solution's (physical?) enviroment provided
the neccesairry data confidentiality.

Choice weither encryption is used may provide a solution or easy
transition or a permanent solution.

I think it's also important to note that it would be good if one could
toggle the upload/download stream encryption seperately from the storage
encryption.
Plain text authentication does *not* have to be an option ;)

--
   Greetings
    Joris