[Box Backup] free(): invalid pointer

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:57:28 +0000

On 9 Dec 2004, at 18:52, Dennis Heltzel wrote:

>> Could you post the offending configuration file? I'd like to make sure
>> it doesn't cause the parser to fail in such a dramatic way!
>
> This is the part the I've changed from the default. If I remove the
> "opt"
> clause, it runs, but with it it segfaults, very odd.
>
> BackupLocations
> {
>         root
>         {
>                 Path = /root
>         }
>         home
>         {
>                 Path = /home
>         }
>         opt
>         {
>                 Path = /opt
>         }
> }

There's nothing wrong with that. Could you send me a complete .conf
file as an attachment (off list) which definitely crashes bbackupd? I
would like to be absolutely sure there's nothing which cannot be fixed.

>> I'm not happy about the invalid pointer business. Is there any chance
>> you could stick a breakpoint on free and try and discover what is
>> calling free to emit that error?
>
> Umm, I could be in over my head. Let me try it on a different system
> that
> I have more freedom with, and if I can reproduce the errors, I'll give
> you
> ssh access to look at it in person. Or, you could send more debug
> instructions like the last time.

Yes, see what happens on another similar machine.

>> Thanks for spending the time to help with fixing this bug.
>
> I don't mind doing the debugging, but I feel less than qualified. I'm
> wondering if there is something broken on the Linux system. It's a test
> system I use at work and it gets a lot of stuff installed and
> uninstalled
> (not all OSS is of high quality). If it works without error on another
> system, then it's probably that.

It's possible there is something wrong with it. Maybe those warnings
are being emitted by a dodgy library? Who can tell?

Thanks for your efforts in tracking this down.

Ben