[Box Backup] inode, fsid, and OS dependencies

Joe Krahn boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:49:07 -0500

If Win32 uses a VolumeSerialNumber, shouldn't we do the same in
BSD/Linux? Actually, I've been thinking it would be good to use more
than one identifier and complain if they don't all match:

1) Mount point: Windows also has a Mountpoint entry.
2) Volume label: I think all OSes/filesystems have this.
3) Serial number or GUID/UUID: Available in most cases.

Number 3 is the most reliable identifier, but may not always be
possible. This may be a bit 'overkill', but it's quick.

Also, not just in Windows, has anyone worked with Logical volumes
spanning more than one drive? Are there any cases where you get status
info about the physical disk instead of the virtual/logical disk?

Joe