[Box Backup] Overall goal for BoxBackup

Martin Ebourne boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:19:36 +0000

Joe Krahn <krahn@niehs.nih.gov> wrote:
> My feeling is that any complete backup tool should be able to back up a
> complete system. However, Boxbackup and it's users seem to be interested
> in just user-file backups, not system backups.

The thing is that system disks don't change a lot, data does. Hence box is
particularly suited to data, more than many other solutions. There are
plenty of ways of backing up the system disk.

> I've mentioned some thoughts on complex features that are beyond the
> scope of current BoxBackup plans, but I think the ability to do a real
> system backup is important.
>
> Are other BoxBackup users/developers not interested in system backups?
> Or is it just a low-priority?

I'll be starting to use it for system backups in the very near future.

However, I'll probably use it in combination with Mondoarchive, whereby I can
do the basic system restore with Mondo and then bring it back up to current
using Box. Or maybe I'd do a basic linux install just to boot and then once
again update from box. Or even drop the root disk in another machine and
restore there.

Taking a regular linux rescuecd (eg. systemrescuecd) and adding box on
wouldn't be a bad idea, and wouldn't be much work.

So many options. ;)

Cheers,

Martin.