[Box Backup] Overall goal for BoxBackup

Justin H Haynes boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:42:24 -0600

My opinion is that the platforms to which boxbackup is being ported
represent way too many requirements for restoration.  Backing up a
complete system on mac/windows/everyUNIX, may be easy to support, but
what would restoration look like?

Concerning system backups: My personal preference is to automate
installations rather than restore because of greater flexibility in
taking that one process to many machines/platforms.  Also you can figure
for updates in that process.  I bring this up to say, that I would
rather reinstall than restore.

I realise that is only part of the idea.  it would be nice to have
restoration of a system and restoration of data in one nice package, but
is that what we really want?  What would have been the causes of the
machine going down in the first place?  How far back do I want to go to
restore that system?  How do I know the machine hasn't been comprimised?

I don't think we should ever give up on new ideas about better ways of
doing things, but in the interest of best practices, I would always
rather have a tool that does what it sets out to do very very well and
completely, than have something that only is able to do part of a
thing.  (i.e.  I may be able to restore a Unix machine with boxbackup
but its probably not happening with windows or mac)  And, so I would
only want boxbackup to do what it aims to do well: backup and restore files.

And now to dilute my point :-), you have given me a couple of good
ideas.  I would definitely consider using boxbackup as part of a system
recovery strategy.  I prefer OpenBSD as a server platform, and it would
be handy to have a stock repository for a base installation or even a
tweeked one of the most current with all the updates.  I would still be
using it as a tool to install a system rather than to restore it, but in
the line of system restoration, it might be an effective tack.

An account could be created for each platform+system  (i386_web,
hppa_firewall, etc etc).  then your installers all look the same.  A
modified openbsd install script with the boxbackup utilities included
and the necessary libraries to make it work.  this would make for  a
bigger image, but for net installs media is no limitation.  then it
would be feasable to automate system installs with boxbackup.

I'm probably babbling by now.  Good night.

-Justin