[Box Backup] core dump on DEC alpha OpenBSD 3.5

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:46:59 +0100

On 18 Jun 2004, at 06:56, Patrick YU wrote:

> Hello.  Anyone running on DEC alpha ?  I've built the debug version
> and still get the core dump on running either  bbstoreaccounts  or
> bbstored:
>
> svn$ sudo ../../debug/bin/bbstoreaccounts/bbstoreaccounts
> Password:
> Memory fault (core dumped)
> svn$ ll *core
> -rw-------  1 root  pyu  902376 Jun 18 10:37 bbstoreaccounts.core
>
> Attached is the make output, and I see some warnings.

Those warnings shouldn't cause any problems which will result in an
immediate segfault.

>  Core file is also attached.

I don't think core files are much use without access to the
architecture they were created on.

Within gdb, does "bt" output anything useful?

>  Any suggestion for me to proceed ?

First, can we check that C++ actually works on your platform? I'm aware
that it is broken on some OpenBSD platforms, including sparc64. So it
may be a similar thing with Alpha.

Save this simple program as simpletest.cpp:

====================
#include <stdio.h>
#include <exception>
int main(int argc, const char *argv[])
{
	try
	{
		throw std::exception();
	}
	catch(std::exception &e)
	{
		printf("caught\n");
	}
	return 0;
}

and then compile and run it like this:

     g++ simpletest.cpp -o simpletest
     ./simpletest

The output could simply say "caught" if it works.

Ben