[Box Backup] core dump on DEC alpha OpenBSD 3.5

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:06:00 +0100

On 18 Jun 2004, at 09:58, Patrick YU wrote:

> On Friday, June 18, 2004, at 03:46 PM, Ben Summers wrote:
>> First, can we check that C++ actually works on your platform? I'm
>> aware that it is broken on some OpenBSD platforms, including sparc64.
>> So it may be a similar thing with Alpha.
>>
>> Save this simple program as simpletest.cpp:
>> [...]
>
> You're right -- I got "Abort (core dumped)".  The box says
> svn$ gcc -v
> Reading specs from
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-unknown-openbsd3.5/2.95.3/specs
> gcc version 2.95.3 20010125 (prerelease, propolice)
>
> Any suggestion on what to proceed ?

Well, essentially you have two choices:

1) Replace the machine with an architecture which is known to work.

2) Fix gcc so that the example program works.

Neither are terribly good options, I'm afraid.

Can you use gcc 3 on your platform? That might be worth a go. But
probably a bit of a scary option.

>  I noticed the last word on the list regarding the sparc64 case is on
> March 3:
>
> --- snip
> 2) sparc64 : the C++ compiler seems to have a bit of a bug which
> prevents compiling C++ code which uses exceptions. There is a simple
> test case below... I'm not entirely sure who this should be reported
> to.
> ----

This holds for alpha as well.

C++ on OpenBSD isn't terribly good. It works great on the common
platforms in single threaded processes, but when you use
multi-threading or a uncommon (64 bit?) platform, it has big problems.
I don't think the OpenBSD team are terribly interested in fixing this
-- most of their stuff in is C anyway.

Ben