[Box Backup] Boxbackup Installation Procedures for Fedora Core 2 & Windows Clients

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sun, 7 Nov 2004 16:10:24 +0000

On 7 Nov 2004, at 15:55, ken wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> Your welcome.  Feel free to take what I have done and modify, update
> and
> include in your package, all GNU.

GNU is an unacceptable license for this project. And anyway, with third
party instructions I would prefer they were published elsewhere and
then linked if appropriate.

> In my experience, it is easy to get frustrated just trying to install
> Open
> Source and quit before they even get to try good products like
> boxbackup.

The certificates thing can be a little tricky, but I'm yet to think of
a suitable alternative. The scripts do give you all the instructions
you need -- really it's just a matter of reading the instructions and
following them.

> It would be nice to see a frontend on the CA to allow clients to
> generate
> their certificates online and provide key escrow so that if they lost
> them
>  they could retrieve them again.  The assumption would be that they
> would
> have to have an account on the CA to login.

I believe there are people working on such a front end.

> Will the new client eventually support 98/NT clients?  Still alot out
> there.

I don't know. Maybe. I think we will get it working on 2k first.

Ben