[Box Backup] disk usage changed after move

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:53:54 +0000

On 22 Nov 2004, at 17:34, J. Meyers wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Box Backup works really great on Debian Sarge, many thanks go to Ben!
> I've been searching for such sort of client/server backup using disks
> for months. Until now no files bigger 2GB here ;-).
>
> I noticed something interesting. Last sunday we moved the backups to a
> new server. In bbstoredaccounts blocks used showed up as about 5500Mb
> before, and 6000Mb after the move. The complete system (boot) disk was
> copied from a 80GB Maxtor to one of the same model, so the block size
> remained 4096 Byte on the ext3 filesystem and the rest oft the system
> is identical. When first starting up bbstored after the move I noticed
> the following in syslog
>
> Nov 21 13:07:13 gate bbstored/hk[495]: different (store,calc): acc
> 0x00002001,
> used (1509396,1544540), old (79611,79738), deleted (144465,144483),
> dirs (6223,
> 6446)

[snip]
> Everything works with no errors, but 500MB more usage after a simple
> copy seems rather strange to me.

It's still exactly the same size, it's just that the store you copied
over had incorrect usage information as revealed by the syslog message
you saw.

This incorrect information will most likely have been caused by a
client being disconnected without logging out first. Did you forcefully
terminate either client or server during the move? Is there anything
interesting in the client logs?

Ben