[Box Backup] traffic statistics

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:19:50 +0100

On 21 Oct 2004, at 01:41, Per Thomsen wrote:

> On 10/20/04 3:39 PM, Dennis Speekenbrink wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any feature that enables traffic monitoring (ie. amount of
>> data transferred) of accounts?
>> I couldn't find any mention of this type of feature on the site, or
>> the last 3 months of maillinglist archive.
>> It would be a valuable addition in environments in which traffic
>> needs to be accounted for (commercial purposes for example).
>>
>> If there is no such feature, is something like this planned?
>
> It is a part of the Server Side Management Specs that I sent out on
> 9/21 (Subject: BoxBackup Server Side Management Specs (Draft 0.01)).
>
> If you can't find that message in the archive, let me know and I'll
> send you my copy.

We do need to update that after all the comments!

> Basically, the specs call for tracking the number of bytes synced and
> restored. My thought was to get stats, and your idea builds on top of
> that (AFAICT). The 'running byte-counter' should be made persistent
> (along with other stats), to support accounting and auditing of
> traffic.

If you're doing billing, you'd probably want actual bytes sent and
received. I was thinking of modifying the socket wrappers to count the
bytes sent and received, then when they were closed send this
information to some other daemon which would process the accounting
data.

Do you have a pressing need for this information?

Ben