[Box Backup] "backing up" backups

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 17:02:56 +0100

On 2 Sep 2004, at 07:42, Joris wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I'd like to copy my encrypted archives to another host, to protect
> against
> hard drive failure etc.

If you have three hard discs, the server has built in software RAID.

>  (serveral sync tools are available, I was thinking
> about unison) I want to do this while the boxbackup-server is possibly
> accepting new data (don't want to stop the bbserver just to copy the
> archives).
>
> Is there a way to make sure the backups are in a complete state while
> the
> boxbackup server is possibly accepting fresh updates?

Not really. You could monitor the syslog output and detect when a
client disconnects, I suppose.

However, you could just not worry about it, and let the sync tool just
do it's thing. If you needed to use the backup of the backup, then you
can use the account fix tool to get everything to a state where you can
get the files. The worst that could happen is that a file or directory
is in the "lost+found" directory rather than where it should actually
be.

> How is this taken care of in the design?

Eventually you will be able to replicate an account to another server.
When the client disconnects, changes will be transferred efficiently to
the backup server. The existing code is written with this in mind.

Ben