[Box Backup] BoxBackup as a Windows Service (Cygwin)

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 17:15:22 +0100

On 14 Sep 2004, at 16:08, Pascal Lalonde wrote:

> Did anyone have success at starting BoxBackup as a service under
> Windows
> (Cygwin)?
>
> I do a:
> cygrunsrv -I boxbackup -p /usr/local/bin/bbackup.exe
>
> Then:
> cygrunsrv -S boxbackup
>
> I get the error:
> cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: StartService: Win32 error 1058:
> The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because
> it has no enabled devices associated with it.
>
> I noticed that when installing sshd as a service via ssh-host-config,
> the script passes -D to sshd, which tells sshd not to fork in the
> background. Maybe boxbackup should have a similar option? Although I'm
> not sure if that is the problem.
>
> Ideas?

To avoid it forking, do

   bbackupd -c /path/to/config/file SINGLEPROCESS

You must have an absolute reference to the config file, and everything
be in that order.

Hopefully someone who's managed this will give a better answer. I've
never done this.

Ben