[Box Backup] BoxWin using Mapped Network drives

Charles Lecklider boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 02:34:19 +0100

Jammer wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there an issue with boxwin (v0.09f) not backing up "mapped" network
> drives ? (I'm not sure if this is a bug or expected behaviour.)
> I've been trying to get a Samba mounted network folder backed up but
> nothing seems to happen.

This is a common misunderstanding with NT-based Windows systems. By
default services do not load the full user profile, so network drives
are not mapped. You (almost) always have to use UNC paths from services.

There's no particular reason that boxwin can't be modified to run as the
user in question and to load the profile properly, in which case you'd
be able to write the config as you have. However, you'd then have
problems when the user changed their password. Better just to use UNC.

Having said all that, I'm not sure if boxwin supports UNC....

-C