[Box Backup] Add Hard Drives to Backup Store?

Chris Hane boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 21 Apr 2005 00:34:46 -0500

This is probably in the realm of new functionality/wish list but I
thought I would ask in case I am over looking something obvious.

Our current setup for the backup server has a capacity of 250GB.
Currently we have 1 hard drive in the server (we rsync nightly to
another off site hard drive rather than use raid arrays in a single
server).  We have lots of computers backing up to this store.

I would like to add a second hard drive (probably another 250GB) and be
able to designate which clients goes to which drive/store.  I don't
think it is possible to have "2" stores managed by 1 server instance.
Unless there is some magic with mounting drives that I should learn about...

I've thought about using a software raid to join the two drives into 1
large drive; but I am leaning towards wanting the ability to just add
drives as demand increases without having to reconfigure existing
stores/drives/clients....

The other option I thought of was compiling a different set of
clients/server that communicated on a different port - but this could
become a maintenance nightmare!

Thoughts appreciated....

Chris....