[Box Backup] Add Hard Drives to Backup Store?

Per Thomsen boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:28:31 -0700

On 4/20/05 10:34 PM, Chris Hane wrote:

> This is probably in the realm of new functionality/wish list but I
> thought I would ask in case I am over looking something obvious.
>
> Our current setup for the backup server has a capacity of 250GB.
> Currently we have 1 hard drive in the server (we rsync nightly to
> another off site hard drive rather than use raid arrays in a single
> server).  We have lots of computers backing up to this store.
>
> I would like to add a second hard drive (probably another 250GB) and
> be able to designate which clients goes to which drive/store.  I don't
> think it is possible to have "2" stores managed by 1 server instance.
> Unless there is some magic with mounting drives that I should learn
> about...
>
> [snip]

Maybe I'm missing something, but you can add a second 'disc set'.

Edit raidfile.conf, to include your new disk. The new section should
look something like this:

disc1
{
        SetNumber = 1
        BlockSize = 4096
        Dir0 = /backup001
        Dir1 = /backup001
        Dir2 = /backup001
}

Then, when you're creating new users, make sure to use '1' for the disc
set parameter, as in:

/usr/local/bin/bbstoreaccounts create 75AB23C 1 4096M 4505M
                                              ^
The disc set number --------------------------+

I have to confesss that I haven't actually done this myself, but I'm
just about to add a second disc set to my box server. I will let you
know if this doesn't work, but I think it should...

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | Reedtz Consulting, LLC | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102    |   pthomsen@reedtz.com  | C: 209 996 9561