[Box Backup] Available: a couple of EXPERIMENTAL BoxBackup patches.

Gary boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 07:23:10 -0700 (PDT)

Ben,

> I would like to include these features (although I'm not sure about
> the one where the diffing time is turned off).

Well, the diffing time turn-off is actually a necessity in my
Win32/laptop/slowish-network environment. It might be something
file-specific (I have plenty of Outlook and TrueTrypt archives), but if
I limit the diff in any way, the thing uploads 2/3 of each file. 300MB
per file, each round.

I would vote to let a user make the choice whether they want it or not
through bbstored.conf. They should be able to figure out what is going
on if they diff out for a couple of hours for the first time.

> the list and fix a few issues while we're at it. Given that, maybe
> it's premature to do this merge right now?

That depends on how we want to proceed from there - I was planning to
also overhaul BoxBackup status/progress/log reporting to allow for
making up interactive console/GUI backup applets (callback instead of
::syslog or printf), just to be able to eyeball bbackupd scan progress.
We might fork off even further.

> Also, Gary's sources contain the C++ thing I hate the absolute most,
> overriding >> and << for I/O...

:)

The only thing in my defense is the fact that the technique is a part
of the std stream set, so I seem to be within standards ;). However, if
you can't stand looking at it, I can take it out, minor change there.

> And of course, my thanks to Gary and Nick for their hard work!

Anytime, the least I can do to pay back for an excellent backup system.

Gary