[Box Backup] Available: a couple of EXPERIMENTAL BoxBackup patches.

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:06:14 +0100

On 26 Apr 2005, at 15:23, Gary wrote:

> Ben,
>
>> I would like to include these features (although I'm not sure about
>> the one where the diffing time is turned off).
>
> Well, the diffing time turn-off is actually a necessity in my
> Win32/laptop/slowish-network environment. It might be something
> file-specific (I have plenty of Outlook and TrueTrypt archives), but if
> I limit the diff in any way, the thing uploads 2/3 of each file. 300MB
> per file, each round.

That sounds like a bug which needs fixing.

> I would vote to let a user make the choice whether they want it or not
> through bbstored.conf. They should be able to figure out what is going
> on if they diff out for a couple of hours for the first time.

Hmmm.

>> the list and fix a few issues while we're at it. Given that, maybe
>> it's premature to do this merge right now?
>
> That depends on how we want to proceed from there - I was planning to
> also overhaul BoxBackup status/progress/log reporting to allow for
> making up interactive console/GUI backup applets (callback instead of
> ::syslog or printf), just to be able to eyeball bbackupd scan progress.
> We might fork off even further.

I was going to sort that out. The revisions to the engine will
pre-select all files, and be able to give lots of progress information
via a souped up command socket.

>> Also, Gary's sources contain the C++ thing I hate the absolute most,
>> overriding >> and << for I/O...
>
> :)
>
> The only thing in my defense is the fact that the technique is a part
> of the std stream set, so I seem to be within standards ;). However, if
> you can't stand looking at it, I can take it out, minor change there.

I kind of agree with the reason operator overloading was left out of
Java. And I suspect that the only reason it's done for I/O was to give
a nice example of how it's "useful" in tutorials.

>> And of course, my thanks to Gary and Nick for their hard work!
>
> Anytime, the least I can do to pay back for an excellent backup system.

Thanks.

Ben