[Box Backup] Future development plan

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:18:53 +0100

On 18 Aug 2005, at 14:56, Nick Knight wrote:

> Agree with all - I will try to commit some time to this it is an
> important project.
>
> The diffing time patch is in the win32 port - it would be good to
> agree
> to on the approach.

And with that, we have basic agreement from all the recent
contributors. (I'm really hoping I haven't forgotten anyone having
said that!)

> Coding standard - definitely the way to go if this is going to be a
> team
> effort!

I shall write some brief notes on it, and get agreement before we
start. But having said that, I got here first.

There is the tab stop issue. I work with tabs set to four spaces, and
I do know how painful it is to work with others. Especially emacs
users, who seem to delight in using wonderfully odd combinations of
spaces and tabs.

On the license, Martin's comments are only relevant to GPL licenses.
The BSD license would allow me to pull back changes. If we're to stay
with the BSD license, there are two issues:

1) The copyright holder. When there are multiple contributors, it
becomes confusing. However, I think this is only a real issue for GPL
projects who wish to have a dual license in the future.

2) The "advertising clause". This becomes much less clear-cut when
there are many contributors. Amusingly, if we let it stand, I would
have to enforce that clause on any changes I pulled back.

I hope I'm not going into too much detail or making too big a thing
out of this, but I don't want to have licensing issues or
misunderstandings later on!

Ben