[Box Backup] bug report: choking on big file

john boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:19:21 +0100

Hi!

boxbackup is failing to backup on of my partitions (NTFS Windows
XP). To be more exact, on the first run all files were backuped, as
far as I can control this. But consecutive runs did at least miss some
files for update, so I traced down the problem with the debug version
of bbackupd.

There seems to be a problem with a 512MB file of randomdata. This was
backuped once, but never updated. The corresponding log file snippet
locks like this:

Send GetBlockIndexByName(0x4069,"randomdata")
Receive Success(0x406a)
Receiving stream, size 128028
TRACE: WARNING: couldn't set diff timeout
TRACE: Diff: 68681728 new bytes found, 3476 old blocks used
Send StoreFile(0x4069,0x408570ed723c0,0xe3f6f467be7b9987,0x406a,"randomdata")
Sending stream, size uncertain
TRACE: Exception thrown: ConnectionException(Conn_TLSWriteFailed) at SocketStreamTLS.cpp(406)
Send SetClientStoreMarker(0x4086a8512ccc0)
SSL err during Write: error:1409F07F:SSL routines:SSL3_WRITE_PENDING:bad write retry
TRACE: Exception thrown: ConnectionException(Conn_TLSWriteFailed) at SocketStreamTLS.cpp(406)
Exception caught (7/33), reset state and waiting to retry...
File statistics: total file size uploaded 524286464, bytes already on server 0, encoded size 0
Beginning scan of local files
Opening connection to server backuptest...
TRACE: Send block allocation size is 4
Send Version(0x1)

At this point, bbackupd starts all over again, finally tries to backup
the file randomdata again, fails again, starts over again...

So randomdata and all following files never receive an incremental
update.

The log line
 File statistics: total file size uploaded 524286464, bytes already on server 0, encoded size 0
irritates me. There is a file with 256188 blocks called randomdata on
the backup store.

For a test I renamed randomdata to randomdata1. On the backup store the
state of randomdata was changed to deleted and the current version of
randomdata1 was backuped successfully. Incremental updates on
randomdata1 failed then again.

I am using boxbackup V0.09, with bbackupd running under cygwin and
bbstored installed on a debian server.

Hacky Holidays,
John